Financial Aid

At CHDA, we understand that paying for your education can be costly and stressful.

We offer one of the most affordable tuitions in San Diego County and have knowledgeable enrollment and financial aid advisors who can help you figure out the best way to finance your education.

We offer a variety of self-finance plans to pay for your education and are approved by the U.S. Department of Education to offer financial aid grants and student loans to those who qualify.  Ask our experienced financial advisors to explain what plan works best for you.

Eligibility for Financial Aid

Financial aid is assistance from the U.S. Department of Education that assists you in paying for the cost of your education.  Financial aid can come in two forms:

  1. Grants – Money you do not have to pay back
  2. Student Loans – Repayment of loan starts 6 months after graduating select program.

To begin the Financial Aid Process…

Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  This application is used to determine what type of funding assistance a student can qualify for based on your financial need as established by the government.  Below is an outline to help you navigate through the online application.  We recommend you start this application now to help expedite the process of finding out what you qualify for when you meet with the Financial Aid Advisor at our institution.  Alternatively, our financial aid advisors are always happy to assist you through the application process if you come across any challenges while completing the application.

Feel free to call and make an appointment to visit with our Financial Aid Advisors at our campus in La Mesa, CA to discuss your qualifying options at 619-461-8600.


If you answer “YES” to ANY of the following questions, you are an “Independent Student”.

If you answer “NO” to ALL of the following questions, you are considered a “Dependent Student” on the FAFSA Application and will need to include your parents’ information to qualify.

  •     Will you be 24 or older by December 31st of the school year you plan to attend?
  •     Will you be working toward a Master’s or Doctorate Degree?
  •     Are you married or separated but not divorced?
  •     Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  •     Do you have dependents (other than children or a spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?
  •     Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training?
  •     Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?
  •     Were you in foster care at any time since turning 13?
  •     Were both of your parents deceased by the time you turned 13?
  •     Were you or are you a ward or dependent of the court?
  •     Are you homeless or at risk of being homeless?


  •     Go to and create your FSA I.D.  The username and password you create will be used to sign into all Department of Education websites and access your Federal Aid records.
  •     If you are determined to be a Dependent Student on the FAFSA, a parent will also need to create an FSA I.D.


  •     Go to and sign in with your FSA I.D.
  •     Complete Entrance Counseling (all students are required to complete this before receiving financial aid).
  •     Print the Entrance Counseling confirmation page to bring with you to your appointment with the Financial Aid Advisor at California Hair Design Academy.


  •     Go to and complete your FAFSA application.
  •     Print out the confirmation page once you complete it.
  •     If you are a Dependent Student, a parent will also need to complete their portion of your FAFSA.  A financial aid estimate cannot be prepared without a fully completed FAFSA with all of the required information.

You are now ready to meet with our Admissions and Financial Aid Advisors and take the first step towards your new career!

Please bring the following items with you to your appointment:

  • FAFSA Confirmation Page
  • You and your parents most recent 2 years tax returns
  • Entrance Counseling Confirmation Page
  • Government Issued Photo I.D. (Driver’s License, Passport, Military ID)
  • High School Diploma/GED or Sealed Official Transcript